“Let’s overcome our biggest ‘hairnemy’ : Breakage” ……..Joann
It was a cool evening, about 7pm I guess, and I was bent on retouching my hair that day. I just couldn’t manage the thickness of the new growth, so i went to a salon not far from home. The ladies were quite nice (it was my second and last time there). After rinsing out the relaxer and shampoo, I sat under the hooded dryer, something didn’t feel right, but I didn’t know what it was. After the stylist combed out the curls, I had a lot of hair on the comb and my hair just kept breaking from then. I was worried, cos folks and friends said i had long hair, so I didn’t want to disappoint them. Well….. the long hair was just shoulder length.
When I got home, I saw this product that had been lying helplessly on my bathroom window, and it read “Ideal for breakage prone hair….” I used it once and the severe breaking stopped. That is how motions CPR treatment conditioner became my favorite go- to product. This happened in 2012
In hindsight, I see that the hair started breaking due to lack of moisture which was as a result of:
- The drying effect of relaxers (that’s why it is important to retouch only the roots of the hair- I did the opposite)
- Too much heat. (The hooded drier was like a furnace)
When you suddenly find pieces of hair on your cloth or comb……and you know it came from you, it’s easy to start worrying and asking questions like “What is wrong with my hair?” “What can I do to stop my hair from breaking?” So this might answer your questions as it did mine and several others.
There are a number of reasons why your hair can suddenly start to break, ranging from poor diet to ‘normal’ practices such as using an elastic band. When we know the root of the problem, it becomes easier to fix, so in this post, I will be addressing the most common causes and how to stop it.
1. LACK OF MOISTURE:
This is the most common cause of hair breakage;
|Dry hair Vs Moisturized hair
Signs of lack of moisture:
· Hair is dry and brittle.
· Hair snaps while combing or touching.
· Hair feels hard when touched
Since it lacks moisture, you add moisture by following these simple steps;
· Wash the hair with conditioner or a mild shampoo.
· Rinse and apply a deep conditioning treatment mixed with extra virgin coconut oil, grape seed oil and Extra Virgin olive oil (moisturizing oils).
· Cover with a plastic cap, wrap the head with a warm towel and leave for a minimum of 30 mins.
· Comb, Rinse with water, dry up excess water with fiber towel.
· Apply a non -greasy leave in conditioner. Allow to air dry.
· Apply moisturizer and seal with oil.
· Comb from tip to root.
Some deep conditioning treatments are;
· Motions CPR Treatment Conditioner (Ideal for breakage prone hair)
· Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner.
· SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque.
· L‘Oreal Professionnel Absolut Repair Masque.
N:B: Since prevention is better than cure, deep condition once a week to prevent future breakage.
2. LACK OF PROTEIN:
Protein is really important to your hair as this is what it is made of. Adding protein treatment to your hair replenishes the protein lost to heat and chemicals.
Signs that your hair lack protein:
· Hair is light and weak.
· Damaged from applying direct heat such as straighteners, blow dryers. etc.
Be sure to eat enough protein in dairy and meat products, but don’t stop there, opt for a deep protein treatment;
· Wash with a sulfate free shampoo.
· Detangle your hair thoroughly.
· Apply the treatment and follow the instructions on the product.
· If you are using egg+coconuut oil+avocado, DO NOT cover with a plastic cap, allow to sit for 30mins.
· Your hair will harden as the protein treatment drys, do not comb or agitate your hair in any way.
· Rinse from your hair with lukewarm water.
· Apply conditioner mixed with coconut oil, cover with a plastic cap, leave on the hair for 5-10 mins.
· Comb the hair in sections, then rinse with warm(not hot) water.
Some deep protein treatments are:
· Egg + Coconut oil + Avocado.
· Aphogee two step protein treatment.
· Aphogee keratin 2 minute constructor.
· Organics hair mayonnaise.
N.B: Don’t forget to condition the hair very well before combing. Apply protein treatment at least once in four weeks.
When mom says “eat your vegetables”, I would start to cry. Not today though, when I was less than 10years old, I so hated it. At 15, I started to like veggies, now; I almost can’t do without it. I know there are people who still hate vegetables at 30. It’s good for the body and hair especially, because it contains vitamins essential for healthy hair.
Perfect nutrition will give perfect hair. Eating right affects every part of our body including our hair.
· Vitamins are effective in maintaining good scalp, and a good overall condition of hair, especially Vitamins A, B, C, E, These can be found in fruits and vegetables.
· Drink enough water, at least 8 glasses a day, drink as much as you can. Without enough, it leaves the hair frizzy; a good amount will give the hair its shine.
· Zinc is effective in keeping the hair strong and prevents falling out; it can be found in seafood and meat.
· You could also take vitamin supplements, and biotin.
So examine your hair, if it is weak, dry or damaged, and then fix it.
There are some other little practices that cause the hair to break such as excess combing, retouching wrongly, even as little as using elastic bands… Stay beautiful!!!