2. PRODUCTS:When it comes to products, I wouldn’t say the products recommended here are perfect for your hair, over time, you will get to know the ones you would prefer, however, it is okay to start here because they have been proven by many on the healthy hair journey including myself. Getting to know the exact product that works best for your hair involves a bit of trial and error. When I started my hair journey, I got SEVERAL products, you would think I was opening a salon. Its only 2 of those products I use till date.
The basic products you need to start your hair journey are;
- Conditioning shampoo: For a shampoo that doesn’t strip away your hair oils, choose one whose first ingredient isn’t sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) – it could be really harsh on your hair, sulphate free shampoos are preferable. I recently switched to keracare, it makes my hair feel soft and silky especially my undergrowth. I used motions lavish conditioning shampoo early on my journey for over a year and I enjoyed it. Try to use very little amount of shampoo per wash, on your scalp alone, the water from the scalp will cleanse the hair.
|Keracare Moisturizing Shampoo|
|Motions Lavish Conditioning Shampoo|
- Conditioner: I use VO5 conditioner, to cowash, there are several great products in the market such as keracare, pantene, elasta QP,etc, try to choose a water based conditioner (i.e the first ingredient is water).
|VO5 Moisturizing Conditioner|
- Leave-in conditioner/moisturizer: For daily use, choose a water based moisturizer or conditioner. Motions CPR has been my favorite, when mixed with shea butter, it makes my hair lustrous. I recently switched to Cantu shea butter leave-in conditioner and Luster’s S curl no drip moisurizer. Infusium 23 is another lovely product.
|Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in Conditioner|
|Motions CPR Leave-in Conditioner|
- Deep conditioner (optional): Whatever choice of deep conditioner you make should contain natural ingredients. I discovered motions CPR treatment conditioner shortly before I began my hair journey when a stylist did something to my hair that made it start breaking like it was paid to do so(I never went back to that salon). If your hair is breaking, this treatment will drastically reduce/ stop it.
|Motions CPR Treatment Conditioner|
- Hair mayonnaise: Organics hair mayonnaise is widely used, I haven’t stopped using it. Useful for protein treatment. Aphogee products are preferable for protein treatments, though I don’t use it but the number of people using it makes me feel its good.(and I have seen the effect on their hair).
|Organics Hair Mayonnaise Treatment|
- Natural oils: this includes but not limited to, EVCO(Extra Virgin Coconut Oil),EVOO(Extra Virgin Olive Oil), castor oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, argan oil. They are good for hair growth, scalp treatment and sealing in moisture. I use mainly EVCO, EVOO Castor Oil and Argan oil.
Some important things might look really insignificant e.g comb, for perfect hair, you need the perfect tools. Using the wrong tools could spoil all your hard work. The basic tools needed are:
- Wide toothed comb; Avoid combs that have ragged teeth, they will snag and tear the hair, making it look unhealthy.
- A sharp pair of scissors: You won’t believe I enrolled in a tailoring class so I could get a very good pair of scissors, cos I didn’t know where to get one at the time.(You guessed right, I didn’t learn anything in the class), I still use it till date. Bottom line is you need to trim dead ends from your hair, every time they show up; it helps to keep the hair healthy and prevents further splits. To achieve this, you need a sharp pair of scissors.
- A satin bonnet: To be used everytime you go to bed. Satin caps could be really nasty; you can wake up and find it on the floor. (I was lucky to find one with rope, so it aint going nowhere). If yours is always coming off, you can get a satin pillowcase instead.
- A shower cap or steamer: Necessary for your weekly deep conditioning and bi weekly protein treatment.
- Shea butter: This is my all-time favorite, I recommend it almost everywhere I get the chance because it works well for my hair. It is also a good moisturizer for black hair.
- Protective styling: This is packing your hair in such a way that the tips are tucked in cos they dry faster than the rest of the hair. These styles include, buns, cornrows, sew-in weaves, wigs etc. I use buns and lacewigs mostly.
Share your magic product, what products do you like best for your hair?